The USDA announced this week the latest addition to the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010: The “Smart Snacks in Schools” nutrition standards. Highlights of these new standards. according to the website, include:
- More of the foods we should encourage.
- Less of the foods we should avoid.
- Targeted beverage standards allowing variation by age group.
- Flexibility for important traditions.
- Ample time for implementation.
The infographic here illustrates the difference in school snacks before and after introduction of the standards.